Friday, April 4, 2014

LIVE STREAMING AUDIO


The voice in my head is as excitable as an ever alert sports commentator. I imagine her in the comfort of a soundproof booth announcing every random thing that pops into mind, peddling it as vital information.  I am her captured audience. I have no choice, but to hear an incoherent stream of ramblings invading my head.


I understand that I cannot escape hearing it. My question is: Why do I listen to it? Why do I take it so seriously, especially since the voice is such an inflexible fear driven task master?


Rarely does she compliment me or give me permission to take a break. Instead, I am pushed to do better, give more. The problem is that the disembodied voice is never satisfied. My efforts are met with criticism and displeasure to a point where I sometimes don’t even start a task, not because of fear of failure, but because of the immense backlash I will receive because of it.

The most disconcerting part is when another voice chimes in and they argue about the best course of action for my life. They completely ignore me as they enjoy their silly spat about my future. Once again, it reminds me of the sports commentators whose arrogant opinions become the fixation while the live game itself, is ignored.


My puzzlement lies in the origin of this live streaming audio.  Who am I that I can distance myself from these fear driven voices, yet sheepishly still take their direction?

In an attempt to free myself of the incessant chatter, I have turned my attention to the game itself. I realised that when I fully immerse myself in the enjoyment of play, I become one with the flow and the action. I become Present. In this moment there is no space or use for commentary.

Think of kids blowing and chasing bubbles. They are not concerned about whether they have dirty knees, or laugh too loudly. They are in complete joy, unfettered by the naysaying inner voice.
Once the commentators are muted, I am surprised to hear the quiet. It is a powerful silence; a vast universe in slow motion; a peace of mind. It is a space where my real voice sounds a lot like Love.




No comments:

Post a Comment